40 Local Groups to Celebrate Olympics thanks to Derbyshire 2012 Event Fund
More than 40 groups will benefit from grants of up to £250 each from Derbyshire’s Community Sports Trust as part of a nationwide Community Games project, funded through the government’s Social Action Fund.
The funds were snapped up within a few weeks of the fund being announced. The money will help local community organisations, clubs and parish/town councils across the County run events with a sporting theme this summer.
In addition to the £250 each group will get 5 t-shirts for volunteers, a pack of bunting, certificates and a toolkit folder with advice for organisers. They can also download event support material like scorecards, certificate templates, risk assessment templates from the Community Games and Village Games websites.
“We’re delighted to be able to support so many local volunteers across the whole county who have been inspired by London 2012 and have sporty plans for their summer carnivals, galas, fun runs and events”, said Hayley Lever, CST Chief Officer.
“Volunteers work really hard year in, year out to make sure local people have a chance to get active and have fun and they’re often on a shoestring budget. This money will help them to pay for equipment, medals, marketing and other resources that they need to put that extra little razzle dazzle into their event and bring the spirit of the 2012 Games to towns and villages across Derbyshire this summer.”
Hayfield Primary School School are holding a Mini Olympics Sports Day on 28th May. They said: “Thank you so much for this. We are really pleased that we have been granted this funding. It will go towards making our Olympic Fortnight and our big Olympic Sports Day a big success! We have just launched the fortnight with a grand opening ceremony and an assembly presented by a local Olympian, Rob Hayles - so we're off to a good start.”
And around 350 people took part in Chinley Village Games’s family decathlon on 19th May, run by 40 volunteers from Chinley Community Association.
Details of these events and many more across the county, can be found on the Community Games website
Click here to download a pdf version of this press release
Chinley Village Games You Tube video:
You can download web friendly images of Chinley Village Games here:
For high res images or broadcast quality audio clips please email email@example.com
List of successful applicants:
- Hayfield Junior Football Club - to buy a gazebo with the club’s logo 22nd June
- ArrowsBasketball, Killamarsh & Dronfield - basketball festival mirroring Olympic Games 1st July
- Friends of Bolsover Parks - Bolsover Gala 24th June
- Celebrating Cromford - Celebrating Cromford – Silly Olimpycs - 23rd June
- Willington Carnival - Willington Carnival Committee 14th July
- Hartington Community Group Hartington Jubilee Celebrations 2nd & 3rd June
- Willington Action Group Village Olympics and Jubilee Family Day 11 June 11-16:00, 8 July 12-16:00
- Wet, Wild and Wacky - The Little Eaton Games, Wet, Wild and Wacky - The Little Eaton Games 2nd July
- Matlock Water Polo Club, Arc Water Polo Legacy Tournament18th August 2012
- Chinley Community Association Chinley Village Games 19-May-12
- Little Eaton Cricket Club 150th Anniversary Celebrations 9th-15th July
- Alvaston Park Friends Community Fun Day 23rd June 11-3 p.m.
- Rodsley & Yeaveley Parish Council JUBILYMPICS! Fri 1 June 6.30–10pm
- West Hallam JFC West Hallam Fun Day 19th August
- Wingerworth Fencing Club Olympic Fencing 23rd & 29th June
- Hayfield Primary School School Mini Olympics Sports Day 28th May 2012
- Long Eaton Rugby Football Club Juniors Family and Community Carnival Fun Day 21st July
- Barrow upon Trent Parish Council Sports on the Community Park 2pm-4pm on Saturday 2nd June
- Steep Turnpike Church, Matlock On Your Marks 6th-10th August
- Walton-on-Trent Cricket Club Queens Diamond Jubilee Community Fun Day 4th June 2012 1pm – 6pm
- Hope Sports Club- Taster Sessions 24th June from 11.00am
- Glapwell Community Development Group Olympicnic June 29th 12 noon– 6.00pm
- Riddings Cricket Club RCC Fun Day Sunday 12th August,11.30am – 11.00pm
- Ambergate Carnival Committee Family Sports Day Sunday 8th July 2012 12.00 - 4.00 pm, Ambergate Recreation Ground
- Whaley Bridge Cricket Club Jubilee Village Six a Side Cricket T'ment 12.30 – 7-30 Monday 4th June 2012
- Clowne Parish Council Jubilee Community Party Saturday 2nd June 12.30-3.30
- Active Tibshelf - Ex 4 All Olympic Festival of Sport 2012 SATURDAY 30TH JUNE 1pm to 6pm
- Elmton with Cresswell Parish Council, Community Sports Event Summer 2012 July-Aug 2012-6 wks School Holidays
- Stanley Village Hall C.A. Stanley Village Gala Sat 23rd June 1-5 p.m.
- Calow Cof E Primary School PTFA Calow Olympic Torch Celebration Fri 29th June 1-4 p.m.
- Hilton Party on the Park Hilton 5K Fun Run 27th May 11-2.30
- Organising Committee (Doe Lea Resource Centre Ault Hucknall Parish Village Games 23/06/2012 12.00pm – 5.00pm
- Shirebrook Academy, Shirebrook Academy Community Fun Day 7th July 12-4 p.m.
- Bolsover & District Cycling Club B&DCC Go–Ride Games 18th August 2012
- Loundsley Green Community Trust, Loundsley Green Olympics 15th July
- Chesterfield Filipino C.A., CFCA Olympics Sports Festival, 4th August
- Long Row Primary School, Olympics Summer Fair 13th July
Notes to Editors:
- You can download high resolution images to support this article here: https://picasaweb.google.com/107527192494176155174/CommunitySportsTrust?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK7Tu6fu7vORBg&feat=directlink
- The Community Sports Trust is a not for profit Community Interest Company. Our vision is of communities where people of all ages and interests take part and compete in sport and recreation opportunities. Communities will have strong sustainable sports infrastructure with high quality volunteers, coaches and leaders.
- The Community Sports Trust manages community-based sports development projects. Our flagship initiative is the Derbyshire Village Games. Inspired by the 2012 Olympics, this innovative three year project’s aim is simple - we want people of all ages and abilities in villages across the county to get active. Our network of Village Games Officers work at grassroots level delivering sport on the doorstep. The three year project is run by the Community Sports Trust in partnership with Derbyshire Dales District Council, Sport England, Derbyshire County PCT and Derbyshire County Council. We also manage the Jog Derbyshire project.
- Community Games are inspired by London 2012 and are funded by a £2 million Big Society Fund. The programme was the brainchild of Legacy Trust UK, an independent charity set up to help build a lasting cultural and sporting legacy from the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, and is delivered by the County Sports Partnership Network and the YMCA.