Celebrate the Olympics Opening Ceremony Derbyshire style
Celebrate the opening of the Olympic Games at Carsington Water today (July 27th). Derbyshire Village Games have organised a great, FREE day out for all the family with archery, Ju-Jitsu, a fun run, football, cycling, golf, inflatable fun and a host of other sport and craft activities.
Local sports clubs are supporting the event, bringing their knowledge and expertise to enable children and adults to try out Olympic sports and other activities.
Children enjoying last summer's Year To Go Event at Carsington
The event will also welcome the Derbyshire Baton Relay in style with the torch traveling on horseback then over Carsington Water near the end of the Challenge’s 205 mile route.
The event is on from 10 am-2 pm. Entry and most of the activities are free though there will be a minimal charge to cover costs of archery, the bouncy castle and BBQ. It follows last year's fantastic 'Year to Go' event, also organised by Village Games.
Village Games Organisers Katy Stubbs and Emma Beswick are looking forward to welcoming people of all ages. They said: "It'll be a fantastic way to kick start the
Olympic fortnight, right here on the doorstep in Derbyshire. We had hundreds of people celebrate at our Year to Go event at Carsington last summer. It’ll be another great family-friendly, free day out.”
For more details phone 07909 443293 or go to:
Click here to download a pdf version of this press release
For media enquiries pls call Lissa Cook on 01663 751 126 or 07818 411 791 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
- You can download high resolution images to support this article here: https://picasaweb.google.com/107527192494176155174/CommunitySportsTrust?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK7Tu6fu7vORBg&feat=directlink
- Watch our 5 minute video about the Village Games on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osdx71eoOSA&feature=player_embedded
- Young people of all ages and abilities will set off from the Olympic Stadium in London on 22nd carrying the baton - running, jogging, by skateboard, wheelchair, kayak or any other means of transport - along sustainable routes like footpaths, parks, bridleways, canal towpaths and back country lanes to county hall in Matlock in time for the opening ceremony. (http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/community/olympic_torch_relay/derbyshire_baton_challenge/default.asp)
- The Community Sports Trust is a not for profit Community Interest Company. Our vision is of communities where people of all ages and interests take part and compete in sport and recreation opportunities. Communities will have strong sustainable sports infrastructure with high quality volunteers, coaches and leaders.
- The Community Sports Trust manages community-based sports development projects. Our flagship initiative is the Derbyshire Village Games (run in partnership with Derbyshire Dales District Council, Sport England, Derbyshire County PCT and Derbyshire County Council). Inspired by the 2012 Olympics, this innovative three year project’s aim is simple - we want people of all ages and abilities in villages across the county to get active. Our network of Village Games Officers work at grassroots level delivering sport on the doorstep.
- Carsington Water