Take to the Trails in the Peak District
National Trust Teams Up Again with Jog Derbyshire To Launch Another Family-Friendly Trail Run
Following the success of Jog Derbyshire’s monthly, family-friendly trail runs at the National Trust’s Kedleston Hall near Derby, we are proud to be introducing another monthly, Sunday morning trail run round the Longshaw Estate near Hathersage in the Peak District.
The first run in our new 'Take To The Trails' series will be Sunday 8th June with further dates announced soon. Runners can choose from a 3 or 1.6 mile route. There will be a rolling start. Registration is open from 9 to 9.30am. It costs just £2 for adults and is free for children. Spot prizes will be available.
Participants can also meet up afterwards with fellow Jog Derbyshire members, friends and family in the National Trust café (open from 9am) and enjoy a special 20% off discount.
Jog Derbyshire Project Manager Cathy Rooney said: “Nearly 500 people have crossed the finish line of our monthly runs round the grounds of the 18th century mansion house at Kedleston since their introduction last April. We’re delighted to announce another totally contrasting run at the other end of the county, taking in some of the most beautiful scenery in the Peak District.”
“It’s wonderful to be able to extend our partnership with the National Trust. There is a natural synergy between their campaign to get people to reconnect with the great outdoors and provide activities that families can enjoy together and our drive to get more people more active and making friends with our locally based groups led by qualified volunteers.”
Jog Derbyshire Coordinator Michelle Simmons said: “Like Kedleston, Longshaw promises the perfect combination of a relaxed atmosphere and amazing location. The gently undulating trail and choice of distances makes this an accessible introduction to off-road running against a backdrop of dramatic, rugged moorland. The rolling start takes away the stress of setting off against the clock. And there’s the added bonus of being able to catch up with friends and fellow Jog Derbyshire members over a cup of tea and a piece of cake at the end.”
Ruth Tweedie, Sports Development Officer, National Trust Longshaw Estate, said: “We are delighted to be working in partnership with Jog Derbyshire to put on the ‘Take to the Trails series of runs here at the Longshaw Estate. The National Trust is committed to encouraging people to try new sports and activities in our wonderful natural spaces, and the splendour of the Longshaw Estate makes a beautiful backdrop for runners of all abilities to enjoy.”
Press release: Monday 12 May 2014
Notes to Editors:
- Contacts: For more information contact Michelle Simmons on 07584 493275 / firstname.lastname@example.org or Ruth Tweedie, National Trust Longshaw Estate Sports Development Officer, on 01433 631757 / 07788 396379 / Ruth.Tweedie@nationaltrust.org.uk. For PR & media, contact Lissa Cook 07818 411 791 / email@example.com.
- Images: You can download high resolution images from Jog Derbyshire including images of our Kedleston runs here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lissacook/sets/72157632740307027/
- Low resolution images of Longshaw can be downloaded here: http://www.nationaltrustimages.org.uk Please contact PR Lissa Cook for high resolution images of Longshaw.
- Dates: First Longshaw run on Sunday 8th June. Dates for July and beyond will be announced soon. (Next Kedleston Run is Sunday 15 June. More info about Kedleston Hall runs & dates: http://www.activederbyshire.co.uk/jog/News_2013_12_17_Jog_NEWS_Kedleston2014Dates)
- Register: To do one of our monthly, family-friendly trail runs at the Longshaw Estate, you need to register as a Jog Derbyshire member. Online registration closes at midday on the Friday for the next Sunday run. Don't worry - you can turn up and register on the day but this will save you time. Note - You will still need to sign in on the day so we know who is taking part on the day. Register here: www.communitysportstrust.co.uk/our-work/jog-derbyshire/register-for-jog-derbyshire-trail-runs/ or see below.
- Timing: The run is NOT officially timed. Run at your own pace.
- Map: Route maps will be available to download soon – check Jog Derbyshire website for details.
- Cost: It costs just £2 per person to take part which includes entry to the grounds. Children can take part for free, if they are accompanied by an adult who is registered as a Jog Derbyshire member.
- Car parking: Free for National Trust members. For non-members parking is £1.50 up to 1 hour £1.50; £2.60 up to 2 hours and £4 all day.
More about us:
- The Community Sports Trust is a Derbyshire based not-for-profit company which delivers community-based sports development projects. Our flagship initiative is the Derbyshire Village Games run in partnership with Amber Valley Borough Council, Bolsover District Council, Chesterfield Borough Council, Derbyshire County Council, Derbyshire Dales District Council, Erewash Borough Council, High Peak Borough Council, NE Derbyshire District Council, S Derbyshire District Council, Derbyshire Sport and Sport England with funding from the National Lottery. Inspired by the 2012 Olympics, this innovative project’s aim is simple - we want people of all ages and abilities in villages across the county to get active. Our network of Village Games Coordinators and Community Sports Activators work at grassroots level delivering sport on the doorstep.
- We also manage Jog Derbyshire on behalf of Derbyshire Sport. Our network of jogging groups, based all over Derbyshire, can help you get fitter & be more active by starting to jog regularly. Qualified Jog Derbyshire Leaders guide beginners & returning runners through specially designed, gentle walking & jogging programmes. Have fun & make new friends with people of similar fitness levels.
ADVANCE REGISTRATION (OPTIONAL)
Next Longshaw Estate Run is Sunday June 8th. Next Kedleston Hall Run is Sunday June 15th.
- Longshaw Estate, near Hathersage